American Alsatian... a lamb in wolf's clothing.™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Alsatian... a lamb in wolf's clothing.™

This forum has been created to allow open discussion for American Alsatian breeders only.

HomeEventsGalleryLatest imagesPublicationsSearchRegisterLog in

Against AKC Recognition

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Against AKC Recognition Empty
PostSubject: Against AKC Recognition   Against AKC Recognition Icon_minitime3/10/2010, 13:52

Originally posted by Shepaluteprez on Feb. 2, 2007.

I'm starting this discussion because I am a FIRM believer of staying out of the AKC show rings. This belief is affirmed by our breed founder as well and the National Alsatian Shepalute Club.

In a previous discussion, I stated my reasons for keeping our club tied to our own breed registry called the National Alsatian Shepalute Registry. I believe this is important enough to elaborate upon and start a discussion pertaining to this conviction.

As I mentioned previously, one of the reasons this breed is not willing to associate itself with an all-breed dog club is because many dogs have been ruined by the show rings. Judges are the most important piece of the breed puzzle, as they can place dogs who do not fit the standards of the breed and therefore create a different character and look than was previously accepted.

Take the cocker spaniel, for example. This dog's show ring history is outlined extensively in our official breed book, Alsatian Shepalute's: A Breed for the New Millennium.

I've found further evidence of AKC's trickery while perusing the United States Border Collie Club (USBCC) website. There is a page that lists their breed's history and the ultimate recognition by the AKC. The USBCC was opposed to the AKC taking over their breed's standards and creating a 'look' that the Border Collie previously did not officially possess. You see, the Border Collie was bred to perform a job and looks didn't matter so much. Anyway, there is more to the story of AKC's take-over and the intense call to new owners. This breed club is so against AKC recognition that many owners post a clause in their puppy contracts strictly forbidding owners to register their dogs with an all-breed dog club, penalty of $10,000 if breeched. If you are interested in researching further, please visit their website at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
UPDATED URL: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Shepaluteprez

Last edited by Admin on 23/11/2010, 10:33; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update URL address)
Back to top Go down
http://www.vallecito-alsatians.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Against AKC Recognition   Against AKC Recognition Icon_minitime3/10/2010, 13:53

Originally posted by Wolfspirit on Feb. 7, 2007.

i would love to give you another homework assignment...

look up the history of the jack russel terrier...

Lois Schwarz

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

e-mail: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Against AKC Recognition   Against AKC Recognition Icon_minitime3/10/2010, 13:54

Originally posted by Akelasmom on Feb. 7, 2007.

Another example: the Australian Cattle Dog.
I became involved a year before they became AKC. At that time, I thought this was the best way for the breed to go. Little did I know that in 2 years time, the judges were placing dogs that looked like German Shepherds! They were up to 5 inches taller,(these dogs have to remain short to effectively work cattle without getting kicked in the face); had red and blue colors on the same dog, allowed black body markings, The last time I showed my dog, he took second to a dog that actually had a black saddle. That was the last straw for me. I refused to pay a judge to ignore the standard, and vote for popularity. My dog was the perfect image of the standard. His sire was the model for the photo included in the standard! And breaking down the standard, point by point, looking at my dog, he was perfect. I knew what I had. It's a shame. I am glad others feel as I do about AKC. What sort of mysterious power do they have over the public? They have worked hard, and spent a lot to exploit beautiful breeds to an unhealthy end. Brainwashing the public to think the only good dog is an AKC one. How far have we come in the last hundred years, that now, we are reversing that image. An example: look at all the "designer dogs"! (could this be another AKC created term?)
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Against AKC Recognition   Against AKC Recognition Icon_minitime3/10/2010, 13:54

Originally posted by Shepaluteprez on Feb. 10, 2007.

Wow, AkelasMom, your story was fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

I did look up the history of the Jack Russell Terrier. As it turns out, the Jack Russell Terrier was a specific Fox Terrier bred by John (Jack) Russell in the 1800s. The Jack Russell Terrier Club has its own standard, a smaller dog with more emphasis on the working qualities associated with fox hunting. However, the AKC has since registered a taller, longer chested dog they now call the Parson Russell Terrier. As a result of the change in size and shape, this terrier dog is rarely found in the hunt fields today.

It is sad when a dog's ability is squelched because of the political nature of the all-breed show ring who has no connection to the breed clubs from which its clientele come. We must not let this happen in our breed. The Alsatian Shepalute was bred as a quiet, calm, watchful devoted companion dog. Its personality must always come first above the wolfish looks. That is why the points associated with our dogs are highest in personality. When the wolfish looks start to overrule the companion dog personality of this breed, then we have lost the initial integrity of our dogs.

Shepaluteprez
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Against AKC Recognition   Against AKC Recognition Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Against AKC Recognition
Page 1 of 1